<VV> HID headlight converstion kit

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Feb 21 14:07:47 EST 2008

Not Seth, but I'll chime in...

V=IR

As current runs through wiring there is a loss from resistance. As it
goes through switches, even more.

The stock Corvair wiring goes from the battery in the back of the car
through the headlamp switch, through the dimmer switch, and finally to
the headlamp. The voltage at the headlamp is therefore lower than the
voltage at the battery. And the amount of light put out by headlamps is
strongly related to voltage (sorry I don't have the formual handy, but
suffice it to say you can visibly see the difference in a fraction of a
volt's difference... and  with some voltage dropage exceeding a volt,
the difference can be dramtic.)

So you want to take the switches out of the circuit to reduce
resistance. The switches now only control the relay which then directly
port battery voltage to the lamps. You still have the resistance caused
by the wiring itself (and a very very small drop due to the rely) but
compared to the drop at the switches, it's almost inconsequential.

The switches are also a common point of failure (as much as almost any
part of the very reliable Corvair electrical system anyway) ... the less
current they carry (virtually none switching only the relays), the
longer they last. This also allows you to run higher wattage lamps
(disclaimer: may not be street legal) if you prefer.

The great thing about the E-code halogens is the light is concentrated
where you need it... so more voltage getting to the lamps... and/or
higher wattage lamps... really provide increased light right where you
need it, not generally scattered like US-spec lens tend to do.

Easy to hook up... you run a large gauge wire forward directly from the
battery (less R = more V) then use the existing wiring to switch the
relays. You can use a single relay for both sides (one for high, one for
low) or relay each lamp individually.  Having fused relays is a good idea...

On my car I'm running standard wattage sealed beam halogens for low
beams (not relayed) and relayed "light up the world" E-code H-1s for the
high beams...

Bill