<VV> Corsa Board of Directors etc. - long since drained of all Corvair content

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 21 18:59:12 EST 2008

NOTE:  This is not aimed at Mark Corbin, his wording just triggered an
already armed opinion.  ;-)
I have a nasty cold and I'm on huge doses of hydrocodone for my back, so I'm
feeling like God's gift to governmental philosophy - sorry.

It is NOT the "inalienable right" of a CORSA member to override the
decisions of the BOD - just as it is not the right of a US citizen to
override the laws of the government we elected.  It IS the right of any
dissatisfied member/citizen to:
  a)  contact the leadership and try to convince them to change their
decisions
  b)  attempt to change the leadership
  c)  "move to Canada"
  d)  live with it and complain (the usual choice)
  e)  attempt to become a part of the leadership.

The idea behind a representative form of government is not that it is a
practical substitute for a true democracy.  It is that we (the electorate)
get to find some sucker and stick all the grubby work of government on
him/her while we are free to engage in more enjoyable tasks like working or
our cars and persuing happiness.  That way, we don't have to spend hours
stressing over what the "right thing to do" is in every little PITA issue
that comes up while running an organization.  We can let our elected suckers
do that for us.  If we find we can't trust them to "do the right thing"
often enough, we can hopefully find some new sucker to take over the job.

This actually works pretty well - much better than the mythical democracy.
It generally results in rule by those who care enough to engage in the
process.  It's slow - it takes forever to get rid of an idiot.  It's risky
because it's so hard to judge the character and beliefs of a candidate
before he/she is elected.  But, watching a few episodes of Jaywalking on the
Tonight Show should convince any thinking person that we don't want
everybody on the street actively running the government.  ;-)