<VV> Corsa Board of Directors etc.

Lon Wall corvairs at pacifier.com
Thu Feb 21 15:07:15 EST 2008

Mark Corbin wrote:

>It may be the board's place to make executive decisions, but it's the inalienable
>right of the membership to question
>heir decisions, and to override them when they go against the will of the
>embership. And THAT is why I feel the question SHOULD be asked. CORSA was
>OT set up as a dictatorship, it was meant to be a democratic republic, and
>pen to membership debates and input.

So Lon Wall writes - Hi Mark, always good to hear from you. What you're
making is similar to most political speeches. CORSA is not a political
organization. Corsa is a Corvair club. Nearly everyone who belongs to
Corsa does so because they like Corvairs and see a value in the National
club. Very few of those people have any interest in internal politics,
or playing politics. The Corsa board has the unique responsibility to
play internal Corsa politics, when almost none of the other members want to.

In this respect, while Corsa is set up as a representative republic, the
board is pretty much dictatorial - at thier own risk of course. These
things may not be what you want to hear, but ask yourself why such a
small number of members vote in board elections or return surveys. The
board's tricky charge is to make sure that they keep the organization in
one piece and don't alientate too many members in the process. There
have been very few board members who did not have Corsa's best intrests
at heart (although there have been notable exceptions) so the fear that
the board will behave irresponsibly is pretty low.

That's not the same thing as saying that the board will always do
exactly everything you want just the way you want it every time. You and
every Corsa member, are each one individual, with your own beliefs,
agendas and opinions. It's not realistic to expect that the board cater
to only one person. Even on our small board, we are each just one person
and have to constantly make compromises.

Each board member must do what they think is right. The hope is that the
organization remains sound and that we don't do anything to upset too
many people. That sounds like a pretty low goal, but the fact is, that's
what it is.    Lon Wall  Western Director