<VV> Corsa Board of Directors etc.

sethracer at aol.com sethracer at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 13:28:23 EST 2008

Mark Corbin wrote:

It may be the board's place to make executive decisions, but it's the inalienable
right of the membership to question
heir decisions, and to override them when they go against the will of the
embership. And THAT is why I feel the question SHOULD be asked. CORSA was
OT set up as a dictatorship, it was meant to be a democratic republic, and
pen to membership debates and input.

So Seth writes:

As usual lots of good information has surfaced on Virtual Vairs. VVairs is like a newspaper in some ways. It allows folks to place news articles for people to read. It has an editorial page where opinions can be voiced – to a point. But with maybe a really tiny exception, it cannot provide action. VV is letters on a computer screen. Like the United States Government itself, Corsa is a representative “democracy”. The representatives (BOD) are democratically elected – Then they are supposed to run the organization. With a few exceptions, (all identified in the Corsa bylaws and other “Member approved” documents,) issues are decided by BOD vote, not by a popular vote of the membership. If you want to know the ups and downs of the “Initiative process”, look at the history of it in California, where it has been hijacked by every rich special interest group in the last 50 years. A Federal example is the US Constitutional Amendment procedure. It is rarely used on a federal level, because the “vote the bastards out” option is quicker and more effective. This option can be effective when you have other competent folks ready to step in. Yes, I saw some Turkeys during my 25 plus years on and around the BOD.  But most folks were broad-minded, listened to the arguments on both sides of issues and voted their conscience. Strangely enough, my recollection is that the BOD members who had run on a single-issue platform, trying to “right” a specific, perceived “wrong”, were more likely to have fuzzy interpretations/understanding of the other issues. SO when you get ready to vote in the upcoming Corsa BOD election, ask the candidate how he feels about the issues you feel strongly about. That’s how it works folks. You have a couple of other options. You can run for the Board yourself or you can encourage someone whose knowledge and opinions you respect - to run for the Board. Personally, I have done both of these since 1980, my first year on the Board.  – Seth Emerson