<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 37, Issue 72

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Fri Feb 22 17:11:40 EST 2008

snipped and bottom posted

Subj: Turbo not boost at All
Dear Sirs.

I'm located in Bogota, Colombia, i just  finished my turbo 180HP but it
is not a lion is a little cat, the  turbo itself had been rebuilt by
Larry Claypool, and I rebuilt the  Engine with TRW pistons, new
springs, valves, refurnishing crank  shaft..all the parts new inside
and it sound very good.

At  the exhaust side I'm completly sure there is no leaks, but to boost
at any conditions any gear..nothing just like an atmospheric engine
can any body help me?

my mail is gcallegari at insepet.com

Gino  Callegari M
CVT 140//1965 4 Sp, 4 Door 110 4 Sp//1966, 2 door 1966  turbo????
Bogota, Colombia, south  america

Does a zero reading on the boost gage making you believe/suspect no boost?  Or were you expecting more power?

If the "no boost"  is confirmed with a proven gage, I'd check that putting the gas pedal to the floor opens the carb butterfly (not choke butterfly) fully.

Then I'd wad up a fine weave cloth or shop towel and hold it tightly over the exhaust pipe with the engine idling.  If I can't make the engine stop after a minute or two the exhaust is not sealed tight enough.

If the fuel pump is weak or the filter plugged then an engine often will run OK up to a certain power level, then kind of fade off.  With the line to the carb disconnected, and the 12 V coil lead disconnected, I'd crank the engine and catch the fuel in a coffee can. 1 pint in 40 seconds would be a good delivery.

One other fairly desparate test would be to remove the turbo-to-muffler pipe and look (wearing safety goggles) to see if the turbo spins with the engine running.

Dan Timberlake