<VV> Powerglide Hardluck

Edwin D. Lindsay wfcc at juno.com
Tue Feb 26 19:46:59 EST 2008

Smitty Says:  The engine is back in the car And the lower end is pretty
well hooked up.  Tomrrow I'll put the exhaust system on and the
transverse spring and then drop it off the jack stands.  Today I pulled
the front plate and found the three eared drive element for the front
pump came off and left the pump drive shaft in the hole.  That ain't
right is it ?  The drive shaft was sheared in two right at the oil
orafice in the necked down part near the spline.  So how come it do dat ?
 The thrust face of the big pump gear had dome drag marks in it so I
polished them out on some wet-or-dry on a piece of tempered glass.
Everything else looked fine so I put er back together.   I could be ready
to roll as soon as  noon tomorrow.
Damned old piece of crap Corvairs.  Get 3 0r 4 hundred thousand miles on
them and get them 40-45 years old and they fall all to pieces.  Got a
good notion to buy a 70s model car.
Thanks for all the good guesses and advice.    Smitty