<VV> Possible Solution Re: Hard Luck

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Feb 26 16:07:44 EST 2008

Smitty,
    The same thing happened to my late wife one day  when she stopped at a
light.  Once the light changed and she tried to  accelerate all she had was
neutral.  Plenty of fluid, no prior noises, but  no "drive".  We towed the car
home at highway speeds and that alone seemed  to solve the problem.  But it
returned some time later when I was slowing  down off the exit ramp and when almost
to a stop, tried to accelerate a bit  and found no "drive".  I towed the car
home, but this time at low  speeds on local roads and still had the problem.
So I took off the lower  valve body and tried to clean everything.  I found
NOTHING broken, but on  reassembly the problem was solved and never returned as
long as we had the  car.  As you know, the Corvair PG has TWO oil pumps.  One
is driven by  the engine and the other by the rear wheels.  That's why, unlike
 more modern cars, a Corvair PG car can be push started if you get  the speed
up to about 25 to 30 mph.  Anyway, I suspect that the  pressure control valve
in the PG fluid system became stuck OPEN so  the trans was fine as long as
the car speed didn't drop too low, but  once it did, the rear wheel pump's
output dropped and  the engine operated pump couldn't put out enough oil to
maintain  system pressure.
    If these were the symptoms of your problem  (appearing on slowing down to
below 20 mph) then you can try to tow or push the  car to over 40 mph and see
if the PG begins to function again.
    Good luck and let us know what you discover.
    Regards,
    Frank Burkhard.

In a message dated 2/26/2008 10:35:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,