<VV> Need steering wheel re-paint advice

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Thu Jan 3 20:29:28 EST 2008

Hi Bill,

I resprayed my steering wheel and I think that it came out fairly nice. I wanted a two-tone colored wheel with part of the color matching the body paint and the remainder colored to match my interior. I used Duplicolor brand paint to match the body color and Rustoleum to match to interior. I carefully masked off the chrome trim rings because I did not want to remove them. I was concerned that I might damage the old plastic, which can be very brittle. I carefully sanded the original color on my steering wheel to smooth out the hairline cracks and scuff the surface so that the new paint would adhere better. I used a 100 grit paper and light sanding, for only a few minutes. Then I masked everything off and began to paint. I used very light coats so that the paint wouldn't run, and built up the layers. After about three light coats, I gently wet sanded the paint with a 600 grit wet/dry paper. I then painted again, three more light coats, and then wet sanded again. I did this during the winter. It sounds like a lot of work, but it didn't take long for each coat and sanding. Finally, I sprayed my steering wheel with Rustoleum clear paint. Many light coats so that I didn't get any runs. I used a satin clear.?The clear protects the color from wear.

I hope this is of some use.

Joe White (62 sedan, 66 Porvair)
CORSA, RMC