<VV> Small Jets

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 3 21:49:21 EST 2008

As I understand it, the HV enrichment circuits were added for the same purpose as with other carbs, which is to give you more power when you wanted it, but allow you to keep your same main jet size for regular, more economical driving. I have heard some folks say that GM reduced the main jet size when they installed the circuits, but have found no evidence of this. Just about all Corvairs after 1961 seem to have come with, or been changed to, .050" or .051" mains. I have stripped over 4000 carbs and found fewer than 100 with anything larger (a few 52's and even fewer 53's). It makes good sense to reduce the size as far as possible without harming the engine and drivability if you are primarily interested in improved mileage. I have them all the way down to .045" and have found this small size in many of the cores I disassemble, especially in later model secondary carbs. While you are changing jets it would be a good time to check the size of your enrichment jets. The smaller you go in main jet size the bigger impact a difference in enrichment jet size between your carbs will have when you get on it. (They can range in size from about .030" to .046"). Hope this helps and does not start some sort of thread :-).
The Carbmeister

<<I know that the smaller jet size is going against the conventional wisdom, but is anyone else out there running smaller main jets with power enrichment circuits?>>