<VV> PG questions about aerated ATF

steven at sashimi.org steven at sashimi.org
Fri Jan 4 14:23:37 EST 2008

I keep reading the ominous DO NOT OVERFILL and that this can lead to
aeration of the ATF in a Powerglide.  Also, that a bad seal between the
filter and the valve body can suck air and lead to aeration too, and that
malfunction can result.

Beyond this, I have found little information.  I've read the '61 shop
manual, '65 shop manual, "corvair basics", "how to keep your corvair
alive", and everything I could find on the web including virtual vairs and
the Corvair forum archives.

So does anyone know what malfunction(s) might result from aerated ATF?
Will the ATF return to a reasonably non-aerated state (and if so, when)?
Does the ATF necessarily look aerated?
Is the cure merely lowering the fluid to the correct level (and/or
replacing the filter seal) or is a full flush necessary?

Thanks,

- Steve Brown

CORSA / PCA member
'69 Monza convertible 140 PG