<VV> PG questions about aerated ATF

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Jan 5 08:50:10 EST 2008

The air will eventually come out of areated ATF, but how long? Not in a
few hours I would think.

Areated ATF looks like a strwberry milkshake.

I have had areated power steering fluid that did unareate itself without
a flush. Just corrected the condition that caused the areation.

The malfunction is that the air trapped in the ATF will compress, so
fluid pressures will be WAAY off. If enough air is trapped, the PG
should quit working. The danger point is where it slips before it quits.
Heat is the enemy of clutches and bands, and slip is heat generating.
Also the lubricating qualities of the ATF are lower with air trapped, so
beariings and seals can also be damaged. And, trapping air will make the
level of the ATF seem higher, just like liquid in a blender gets more
volume when the air is whipped in.

The cure should be get the level right. No flush needed if the car can
sit for a few days. This is my opinion and others may differ.

Frank DuVal