<VV> Porsches & Big HP

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 6 03:30:58 EST 2008

>the Porsche is water cooled double OHC, and 40 years later ...

And of those two items, only the water and the other two cylinders are
new -- the dohc's have been around since, gee, 1955? -- but those were
special motors then, and even more so now. A complete core engine is
about  $75k -- "if I were a rich man, tra la la la la la la .... "

Yeah, the hp numbers are a bit higher these days, but NOTHING sounds
like those old Carrera 4-cam motors

FYI, published engine data for the 2006 Porsche Crawford Daytona Prototype

Porsche 3.8 liter Grand American Daytona Prototype Technical Specifications

ENGINE:
Six-Cylinder Boxer Porsche 3795 cc -
76.4mm stroke, 102.7mm bore
Horsepower: 510 @ 8500 rpm
Torque: 435 N/meters @ 7500 rpm
Max RPM: 9000
Cooling: Water Cooled
Intake System: Six Individual Throttle Valves
Fuel Injection: Sequential multi-point Bosch MS 4.0 system with ignition
control
Lubrication: Dry Sump with Heat Exchanger and Mobil 1 oil

So what if a modern 2.5 litre motor has 200 hp and 30 mpg -- we are
driving cars from the sixties, not because we have to, I would assume,
but because we want to -- and 100 hp and 15 mpg will still get you to
the drive-in (okay, the video rental store), or the Honda or Porsche
dealer if you need more horsepower, and if you want to go racing,
fastvair is the list for you!