<VV> 205/70-14's?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jan 6 02:12:36 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/5/2008 6:04:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bwschug at charter.net writes:

A fellow  in our club is fitting a '68 convert with a set of 205/70-14's
on 14 x 7  GM/Camaro Rally wheels. That's all I know about the wheels.
Clearance on  the rear shouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering about
clearance on front.  These are large diameter tires.

The wheel construction is an issue, as well as the tire diameter. A deeper
wheel (low backspace) can cause two different problems. As the wheel outer
moves  out from the mounting face, the tire shoulder also moves out toward the top
of  the wheelwell. At the junction of the inner wheel well and the front
fenter  there is a welded seam that extends in about 3/4 of an inch. On the front
wheelwell, the inner panel parallels the fender and pretty much goes straight
up  - except for that lip. On the rear wheelwell, the inner panel turns
inward about  an inch up. Clearance of the rear wheels at the upper most point can
be worse  than on the front wheels. But on the front wheels, you must also
deal with  the wheels turning left and right. If you go to a deep wheel, the
centerline of the tire is not just pivoting to the left and right based on  it's
contact point, it is moving forward and backward as it turns. That is what
causes the common interference at the very front of the wheelwell, during a
turn. In addition, the stock caster adjustment, if used to gain additional
camber on the front wheels can move the lower balljoint - and with it the
effective wheel location - forward, relative to the wheelwell. This will  also cause
interference at the front of the wheelwell. If the difference  between the 14 x
6 wheel and the 14 x 7 wheel is all on the outside, you may  have contact.
That tire is almost 25.5 inches tall.
- Seth Emerson