<VV> Economics Re: Regular Gas and Fuel Economy in a 110hpCorvair

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jan 6 12:22:36 EST 2008

You are definitely wrong on count #1 on count #2, it is "depends"

Count#1:  Best highway fuel economy results from peak thermal
eifficency. This occurs when you time the spark event right at MBT
(minimum advance for best torque).  If you over-advance, the thermal
efficiency will gradually drop off, but over-advancing typically isn't
a concern since the engine will knock like hell first and let you know
not to run there.  On the other side of the coin, If you *retard* the
spark timing from MBT, efficiency drops off more quickly. You slow the
combustion process and more combustion occurs later and later in the
expansion (power) stroke. The slowed combustion means more heat gets
transferred to the head and cylinder walls and out the exhaust and
less is doing useful work on the piston. You lose performance and fuel
economy AT THE SAME TIME (!) and get everything a lot hotter. Bad idea.

Count#2:  In a world of pure regular gasoline against pure premium
gasoline, yes the premium gasoline often does have a very slightly
lower volumetric enegry content on account of the specific
hydrocarbons in teh blend.  The effect is pretty slight, and more
importantly basically gets lost in the wash when both premium and
regular fuels get adulterated with oxygenates such as ethanol, or
until a few years ago MTBE.  When said oxygenates are added, the
relative energy differences are very puny. Still, it makes sense to
set the spark timing to where it should be and run the minimum octane
needed to keep the car from knocking. There is no benefit to running a
  typical 95hp Vair engine on premium (it doesn't need it). In
contrast, it really dumb to take a 110hp Vair engine that typically
*requires* premium and retard the spark to keep it running (hot, weak,
and inefficiently) on regular.  Better to just buy a 95 engine...

QED:
a. It is best to run spark timing right at MBT (approximately by the
factory setting if you don't know better). If you can't get there, get
as close as you can without knocking.

b. Retarding the timing so that you can run on regular to save $ is a
pretty dumb thing to do. If the engine was designed for premium, run
the recommended timing with the recommended fuel. By retarding the
spark advance, you lose power, hurt the thermal efficiency, and run
the heads hotter which makes burned valves, dropped valveseats,
pre-ignition and knock all the more likely.  Doing so in an emergency
when you need to get home and can't find premium is one thing, but
purposefully doing this to "save money" is a fool's errand.

Jim Burkhard