<VV> '61 dual brake conversion

Donald Manen donmanen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 06:21:29 EST 2008

For Brian Blackwell:  I converted a '61 Lakewood to accept  '67dual brakes using '64 car donar parts---I was also converting it from auto to 4 sp and using the later wiper components . I  have a few pictures of the under hood area.   There were a few "bumps" in this conversion-I'd be happy to share with whomever is doing the same project .

  That car was called the "Radio Flyer",,  I also modified the original '80 hp block  to use later 110 crank and internals, had a custom made air conditioning unit from Hot Rod Air, Inc, with a  vertical front trunk area condenser---, full '64 suspension, and many other unique features.  It won several local car shows,  a bronze at the "Great Plains Roundup", and "Best in Show" at Heart of Texas,,,,,,,,(Texans do brag)----  It also won the heart of Geoff Johnson from Alb.........., New Mexico, where it now lives.  There is a picture of  the "Radio Flyer" in Clark's on-line catalog "Photo Gallery"

  Hint- the car's name was suggested by a member of North Texas Corvair, because it's a little red wagon with whitewall tires.  Period correct RF decals are on the side glass.

  Don Manen
  Alamo City Corvair
  Corvair Houston

   If it was easy,,everybody'd be greasy