<VV> run on

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Mon Jan 7 23:39:43 EST 2008

Mike is right... I kept waiting for the original poster to be a little
(OK, a LOT!) more descriptive with repect to his problem.  People are
reading his post at least 2 different ways:

1.  Does the engine buck and snort and cough for a second or two (or
more!) after the key is turned off?  This is "dieseling" and involves
the engine running WITHOUT spark -- it's purely pre-ignition -- hot
spots in the chamber.  A build up of carbon in the chambers can be a
cause (as can a too hot spark plug) and low octane fuel will
accentuate the problem, as will a too-high idle speed. Spark advance
isn't a direct effect (becuase the ignition is off, there is NO
spark!), but an over-retarded hot engine will be more prone to run-on.
Likewise, an over-advanced engine that is knocking immediately before
key-off can have hot spots in the chambers.   If you aren't beating on
the engine just before you shut it down and see this problme, it isn't
an overadvance issue, though.

2.  Other folks took the "engine won't shut off" description to mean
that the engine idles INDEFINITELY smooth as silk just like the key
was still in the "ON" position.  Sparks are firing, even though they
shouldn't be and you've got an electrical problem causing it -- power
feeding back somewhere to keep the coil alive even after key-off.

Now, which is it?   I think we need a much better description of
everything that happens...

Jim Burkhard