<VV> Economics - Regular Gas and Fuel Economy / Thermal

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 00:23:28 EST 2008

"...You call this "quench", but keep in mind quench is a bad thing whilst
squish is good..."

Yes Jim; I've seen the terms used interchangeably, but we both know  what we
mean: at the top of the stroke, the distance between the top of the  piston
and underside of the combustion chamber (the portion away from the  spark plug).
The idea being, simplistically stated, lessen the distance to add
turbulence; allow the head to "quench" heat from the unburned mixture (from  the
previous cycle); while also making shorter the distance the flame  front has to
travel to ignite the current mixture... all adds up to an  engine less prone to
knock. Other than sometimes troublesome water injection,  making the cylinder
head "more modern" is the only way I've found to keep the  Corvair engine
efficient and still run pump gas. I agree (although I've tried it  in years past)
dropping compression, and/or retarding timing is, overall cheap,  but not what
should be done if performance and efficiency are a concern. I  tend to spend the
$$$ up front to save $$$ later.

Appreciate the follow up...
Mike Mauro