<VV> Online article

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 07:53:25 EST 2008

Hi, Beth! I read your Group Red article and enjoyed it, but I was dissapointed in what you said about Ralph and the Earlies. Ralph's book was published in 1965, far too late to have influenced Chevrolet's design of the (1965) Late models. Ralph CLAIMED that the early models were unsafe, but in fact they are NOT UNSAFE, and in fact, the US Government conducted an investigation which eventually (1972, after the Corvair was long gone) found the Corvair to be as safe as other contemporary cars. You inadvertently reinforced the false ideas people already have about our cars. Ralph basically claimed that the Corvair was prone to roll over. Having driven many miles in my Earlies, including autocross and high speed track events, I can testify that it would be very difficult to roll one, short of tripping it over a curb.

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on