<VV> Fuel return line on a 140

steven at sashimi.org steven at sashimi.org
Tue Jan 8 15:17:39 EST 2008

In search of the brand new strong smell of gas in my garage I discovered
last night that the fuel return line on my recently acquired '69 had been
partially removed (P.O. or repair shop).

I found a dripping steel return line ending up under / behind the firewall
(right next to the main fuel line and near in-line fuel filter before it
enters the engine compartment), essentially just broken / pinched off and
ending there.  Inside the engine compartment there was no return line at
all, and the original T block has a screw-in brass plug and is not leaking.
(There's also no smog pump on this motor).

I've had no problems starting the car at all, though granted it hasn't been
hot since I got the car in the fall.

I had filled the tank the day before.  Obviously the return line is patent
all the way forward to the tank.

To stop the drip last night temporarily, I pinched the end of said line.  I
don't expect this to hold and I intend to cap with a good compression
fitting this evening.

So, what is the collective wisdom:  Should I replace the return line, or
merely cap off the existing remnant with a compression fitting & cap and
leave it?

Is there a performance downside to reconnecting?

Also, as an aside, since there's no smog pump should the timing be set
differently?

One final note for those of you following my other (PG) saga: while I had
the car up on the jack stand last night I checked the throttle lever and
found that the throttle rods were not adjusted properly.  Setting them
properly resulted in a much better reverse gear engagement.  Still some
slipping on the low speed low-to-drive upshift.

Thanks,

Steve Brown

PCA / CORSA member