<VV> Fuel return line on a 140

steven at sashimi.org steven at sashimi.org
Wed Jan 9 09:55:41 EST 2008

Thanks Frank,

Parts just ordered and should arrive for a weekend repair.

Incidentally, last night (with a tubing cutter) I cut off the distal 3" of
the return line which was crimped and mangled, and put on a tight cap.
During this operation the fuel kept dripping from the line and there were
air bubbles indicating to me that there was some pressure in the line.
Sure enough, I opened the gas cap and air rushed out (and dripping
stopped).  I thought that the system was supposed to vent through the cap.
It seems to me that pressure in the tank would defeat the purpose of the
return line, depending on the relative pressures (tank versus pump-to-carb
lines).  The cap looked almost new but I ordered a new one anyway, just in
case it wasn't the correct cap.

- Steve Brown