<VV> Hybrid - No Corvair

burkhard at rochester.rr.com burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jan 9 10:28:12 EST 2008

Todd-
You are dead on.  The Toyota Pious people are satisfied because they
have cult-like loyalty to the "idea" that they are saving the world via
driving the car.  It's clever inclusionary marketing similar to (but
surprassing!) the original loyalty Saturn enjoyed among its early
buyers as "a different kind of car company".  Hybrids
(especially "heavy hybrids", like the Prius) are rather silly because
you wind up carrying around a lot of complexity and gobs of extra
weight.  So called "Mild hybrids" (like the VUE & some other CUVs &
SUVs) aim to capture the lowest hanging fruit (regenerative braking and
start/stop capability) by implementing a lower-function system on a
much simpler package.  It's a smart idea and would save more total
fuel, but gets less press than the Pious because the public doesn't
hear about Leonardo Dicaprio driving one.

And, as you undoubtedly know, the Prius "real world" fuel economy
(especially highway) is a WHOLE LOT lower than what they advertise.
This is the case because hybrid vehicles largely achieve their fuel
economy advantage over conventional cars through regenerative braking.
The US Highway Fuel Economy Test (HWFET) cycle has lots of braking and
hence it makes hybrids look a lot better than conventional cars. But
when people put them on an interstate and drive all day, though, they
find the real fuel economy isn't much better than real fuel economy
achieved with a conventional small car.

Hybrids might make sense for city buses, garbage trucks, and maybe
taxis -- expensive long-lived heavy vehicles that spend their lives
accelerating and then decelerating. For the rest of us, they are a
shortsighted fad for Al Gore eco-technophiles who really don't
understand the technology they so love.

Yes, diesels are a much saner choice. The VW Polo diesel (unfortunately
not available in the US yet... sold in Europe) gets better fuel economy
(70-74 mpg on the Euro cycles), costs about 1/3 less to buythan the
Prius, and will ultimately be much more reliable in the long run than
the Prius with its zillions of controllers & electrical connectors,
gobs of wiring, and very heavy expensive limited life batteries.

Jim "Straight Talk" Burkhard