<VV> Hybrid Saturn SUV - GM Is Listening - No Corvair

Tony tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Jan 9 10:36:57 EST 2008

At 09:45 AM 1/9/2008, you wrote:
>While I might agree, and lots of people seem to like their Prius, I do
>question the 95% satisfaction with the car.

I do not question many people's satisfaction with the Prius, because
they were already presatisfied before buying it because it catered to
their self-proclaimed "green" wisdom, and besides, they PAID for that
satisfaction and you can bet they're damned sure gonna get it one way
or another.   The ones who do not will quietly lick their wounds,
trade the car for something else.

I do not like the Prius... not because of what it's supposed to be,
or its (expensive) technology, or because of any doubts as to the
quality of its construction which is good...  but because of how it
came to be here for a price less than the 75,000 bucks it took to
BUILD one of the little bastards.

I'm also not real pleased with its timely introduction which
countered efforts by GM and Ford for a marketable affordable hybrid
or zero-emissions vehicle, and of course seeing as how nobody was
gonna pay what it cost to build a Prius, Toyota convinced the
Japanese government to subsidize most of the expense of building it,
so as to get not only a foot in the door, but take the foot and kick
GM and Ford in the balls in the process, backed up of course by
Japanese government money.

Toyota sucks.   As I've said before, the product is fine; it's their
policies that alarm me.

Then again, GM could sure as Hell learn a thing or two from Toyota,
which at least DOES know how to deal with unions.   GM used to
know...  but they forgot.   Their error... now it's costing them out
the ass, literally.

>  Is that was the case, and most owners were, say,  environmentalists, then
>they might be highly satisfied with a Yugo if it was  meeting their
>expectations
>as an environmentally sensitive vehicle.

The Yugo was a FAR less polluting vehicle than the Prius once you
consider the resources used to construct it, compared to what it
takes to build a Prius... and it got fuel mileage that wasn't that
far removed from what a Prius actually gets... and the Yugo cost a
tenth of what the Prius sells for.   My Yugo will pull down close to
40 mpg on the highway if I keep it below 70, and around town it would
still averaged close to 30 mpg if I drove it like an old
woman.       And NO, it's not a slug, will smoke the tires through
1st gear and bark them loud in 2nd, runs well.

Again, Yugos never got any respect, just undeserved criticism... and
the majority of that came from people who never drove one, much less
owned one.   Mine is in storage, stashed away... has 124,000 miles on
it now, and it's in excellent shape, engine tight and smooth and runs
well, uses almost no oil between changes.   I may well break it back
out and tag/register it again and put it back to work if gas
continues to go up in price...

Now, we have people singing the praises of the Prius...  more power
to them.   I'm waiting to see how many end up in used car lots for
discounted prices when the battery wears down.

>Is it  the car, or what they
>perceive the good that they are doing by driving it?   I guess it
>doesn't matter
>either way, and I have no problem with the car, but  for me, I too would be
>buying the VW diesel!

I'd sure as Hell buy the VW diesel before I'd even as much as
consider a Prius.   Then again...  give me a Prius and I'll sell it
to a greenie and use the bucks to buy two VW diesels.

Or... one VW and use the rest of the bucks into the 'Vairs.

tony..