<VV> anyone have a diagram for homemade vapor injection?

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 13:33:47 EST 2008

But the most important distinction between the 2 is  NOT whether the water
enters the engine as a liquid, as droplets, as a coarse  mist or as a fine mist.
 The most important difference is HOW the  water flow is varied.  So-called
VAPOR injection occurs when a small part  of the intake air is diverted through
the pool of liquid water where it sucks in  water vapor with it.  Since this
air flow is dependent on intake manifold  vacuum, it is highest at idle and
deceleration and lowest at full throttle which  is just opposite to where it is
most needed.  WATER injection, on the other  hand, depends on a pump (or
pressurized air tank) to move the liquid water into  the intake air/fuel mix.  Thus
it is normally shut off at idle,  deceleration and low load situations.  The
control is usually set up to  INCREASE the water flow as the engine load and
rpm increase.  Boosted  engines sometimes use boost pressure to PUSH the water
which  automatically increases the flow as boost pressure increases.
    Earlier and cheaper water injection systems used a  simple windshield
washer pump to dribble water droplets into the carbs, some  actually increased
the water flow by increasing the voltage to the pump as rpm  increased.  They
used a vacuum switch to only turn on the pump once the  intake manifold vacuum
became lower due to increased load on  the engine.
    Many years ago I built my own system using a  surplus high pressure 12
volt water pump that blasted a fine mist of water  into the top of each carb
(110 engine) through 2 "surplus" kitchen plastic  sprayer nozzles.  If I
remembered to push the button under the  dash as I began to accelerate, the engine was
quiet and smooth.   If I forgot, the sound of a bunch of rattling empty Coke
bottles (remember  them?) behind me was my "reward".  The system certainly
worked, but  left a lot to be desired in terms of actuation.<GGGG>  But it did
prove the concept was valid.
    Modern systems use computerized controls to  automatically turn on the
pumping and vary the flow based on rpm as well as  engine load.  MegaSquirt even
has an option whereby you can set up a  SEPARATE water flow "map" (similar to
the fuel flow "map")  that uses  the same sensors that vary the fuel flow to
turn on and vary the  WATER flow but at a different rate.  But the "maps" are
completely independent so you can keep the water shut off until you need it
and vary the flow based on rpm and load.  Aquamist undoubtedly does  something
similar with their computerized control on their water  injection.
    I personally prefer the fine mist type with  injection to occur
DOWNSTREAM of the turbo since I've also heard reports of  water erosion of the turbo
compressor blades.
    Frank "finally ran out of words" Burkhard

In a message dated 1/7/2008 8:33:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,