<VV> HELICOIL ADVICE

Jim McLott Jim.McLott at DOR.GA.GOV
Fri Jan 11 12:01:11 EST 2008

Chris,

I've used helicoils on at least 4 occasions and they're not that hard to
use.  Just make sure you drill the pilot hole straight and deep enough
and you should have no problem.

However, it sounds like the stripped hole you're dealing with is in the
differential case.  If so, another solution is to drill and tap for a
bigger bolt.  Of course, you'll have to remember what bolt goes in which
hole the next time you take it apart, but that's good advice regardless
of what you're doing.  (Cue TLH here...)

Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible helicoil showcase
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta, Heart of GA Corvairs and Group Red
(ret.)
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/groupred/mclott.htm