<VV> What have you found in your Corvair?

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Fri Jan 11 23:54:23 EST 2008

Well, I'd be here for hours telling you about all the things I've found in
Corvairs, but my 64 700 yielded the latest prize.
First, some strange background story to let ya know how weird this  was....
My Dad passed away a little over 8 years ago... we were really close, and I
miss that old fart every day. When I was a kid he found an old "dime bank" and
 gave it to me... it looked like an old cash register and would count the
dimes  you inserted into the bank, and would open up at $10.00 ... since he been
gone,  we (my wife Cheryl and myself, and sometimes the girls) will find
dimes, usually  in strange places where there was no money earlier.... Cheryl has
only been  saving the dimes for the last five years (which was when she made
the  connection), and there's probably over $30 in the little box she keeps 'em
in...  she's convinced that Dad is leaving those dimes... personally, I'd like
to think  he's got better things to do... and sometimes ask "Why can't you
leave me some  hundred dollar bills?"
;-)
Now to the Corvair...
I was replacing the heater control cable a few weeks ago, so I was over at
my buddy's garage with the 700 up on the rack... I removed the tunnel covers,
and once I got the back one off, out fell something... and when it hit the
floor  I heard the ringing of SILVER.... I reached over, and picked up a very
nice,  nearly mint,  but tarnished, 1964 dime... it's now in a box with some
stuff  he gave me when I was a kid...
Oh, and this 700 has a build date of June 1964... the engine and diff have
the same date stamped on them... May 22.... which was my Dad's birthday.....
his  39th birthday, at that.
So that has to be the coolest thing I've found recently....
Last summer I found a 6 ft long snake skin in the floorboard of the 61
Greenbrier.... at least it doesn't smell like mice.
:-)
I've also found a cat skeleton.... but that was several years ago...
Lots of parts.... the occasional build sheet, and once I found a gas credit
card... it expired a few days after I was born, Feb 1967....
Later,
Lonzo

Lon  Anderson
White Mills, KY