<VV> More on Oil Formulations

DONALD MEYER weldvair at embarqmail.com
Sat Jan 12 08:50:59 EST 2008

I read the article, but thought the writer left us hanging. It did not give me the warm fuzzies becaue it did not tell us the ZDDP content of over the counter oils. As I recall it did not tell us how to tell which oils to buy based on the  rating on the oil can. It has been noted in my reading that SM & CJ oils are low in ZDDP, while the previous Sl & CI oils are okay.

In roaming from store to store I have found some oils that meet the old SL spec...

Kendal GT(auto)Zone
advanced auto part brand oil(only some higher vis.)
Walmart brand in their 14w40 vis.
Valvolinre off road racinge oil, but if is too low in detergents to use daily
Brad Penn racing...it's the old green Kendal oil....this appears to be the most talked about.

This is a important subject for car collectors & I'd like to hear your from some petroleum engrs. on this subject.

Don Meyer, Mech Engr(St Cloud,FL)