<VV> SAVE YOUR OLD KEYS !!

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 01:31:56 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/12/2008 6:55:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ddpleau at msn.com writes:

In 1987,  my boss and I were sent to Albuquerque to help start up a
semiconductor  factory.  We found Hertz T-birds were the best car we could rent under
our expense accounts, so we were both driving them.  One morning he left  the
hotel to go to work and got in the wrong T-bird and the keys worked.   He was
pulled over in the afternoon for driving a stolen car.  After a  lot of
talking, the cops drove him back to the hotel and he found his rental  and it was
unlocked and started with the same keys as the one he was arrested  for
stealing.  They let him off the hook.

It hurts if you are driving a common car as well. I was leaving Orchard
Supply one Sunday afternoon, some years ago. I walked out to my "pewter" colored
Taurus SHO. I walked up and punched my Unlock button - No go. Then I  wondered
how a car seat got in the passengers seat. I was parked three spaces  further
down - Worse, across the space another Pewter SHO was parked there.  Three
identical cars within 60 feet. (Yeah, okay - it was a Taurus) Then  yesterday, I
exited Fry's in Sunnyvale and walked up to my Pewter colored  Avalanche.
Again the locks didn't pop and no light flash. I was parked a few  more spaces
down. This one was really identical Z71 off road decals and all. Man  - I am
getting old. Thank goodness I never checked to see if the key would fit,  but I
was about to! - At least with Corvairs, this could only happen at the  National
Convention! It would be interesting to take a well worn Corvair  key and walk
down the line-up see how many ignition switches it would operate  (same year,
etc.) - Seth