<VV> Ventura Convention

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Thu Jan 24 15:08:05 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/24/2008 10:50:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
aeroned at aol.com writes:

the real  question is 'How does the average person from a laid-back
mid-western town  safely negotiate the volumes of traffic and the wild
drivers
that populate  the area?'

That is a good question...one with no good answer. On  the other hand,
Ventura is far enough away from the LA traffic nightmare. You  could just do you
sight seeing north of Ventura. If you do feel brave enough  to venture into the
LA basin, be prepared for battle.

I'll take the  laid back prairies of Kansas over the "glitz and glamour" of
LA,  anyday.
Don't even get me started on the natural  disasters....
Ned

There are plenty of freeways in the L.A. Area; you don't have to go into  the
downtown area where the really bad "all-day rush-hour" traffic is.  The
drivers aren't "wild", after all, they've had to learn how to drive to survive  in
the crowded streets and freeways.  However, there are times when I wish  the
police would enforce the laws on the books that make it illegal to sound the
horn unnecessarily.
As to natural disasters---you never really get used to " a whole lot of
shaking going on", but you don't have to go into a possible wildfire zone out of
sheer curiosity.  The Ventura County Fairgrounds is about 65 to 70 miles  west
(and a little bit north) from downtown L.A. on US 101 but any good road map
or the AAA's strip-map service can tell you how to bypass the crowded  areas.
The "glitz and glamour" of L.A is pure hype; Hollywood is inhabited by
ordinary folks trying to make a living; it never was the home of the movie  stars,
more likely the cameramen and other studio employees; now it's just a big
commercial and industrial city--but not like Detroit.
By the way, the reason I can tell you this is that I live a couple of  blocks
from the 101--the Hollywood freeway coming out of downtown--and have  lived
here since 1980 so should be familiar with the situation.

Scotty from Hollyweird