<VV> flushing VS filtering

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Jan 24 17:09:01 EST 2008

The point exactly.  Dissolving the sludge from the engine and running it into the
oil could easily clog the filter and start sending all of the particles through the engine
... how long this could take is an unknown.  It might be hundreds or thousands of
miles ... or just a few minutes of operation.  The driver will not know.  The question
remains; what advantage is there in removing the sludge?  There should be a pretty
good payoff if one is to take the chance.
Ken Pepke
 One more thought about filters. Back in the day when I was a USAF crew chief someone
came up with a brilliant idea for an engine oil filter .It was a super micron filter (it
caught everything). It was so good that they clogged and allowed some debris to get
through the bypass, ruining several PW J57 engines. I guess it is better to let some
microscopic stuff through than to use a super filter and possibly lose an engine.