<VV> Strut Rod Bushings

David George dgeorge at heritage-consultants.com
Sun Jan 27 17:21:20 EST 2008

Hi folks. Haven't posted a query in a while, but I have one for you now. I have had my 65 convertible up on stands for the winter to do a clean up of the engine bay and underside, an engine swap, and a partial rear suspension rebuild (new coils and shocks). After degreasing the trans and diff, I discovered that the inner strut rod bushings have long since gone to the big junk yard in the sky. Today, I pulled the strut rods, coils and shocks (luckily no broken bolts and no squiched body parts). I have some aftermarket rubber bushings with the steel outers to replace my old ones. My question is, since I do not own a press or have easy access to one at the moment, what tips or tricks can anyone give to get the old ones out and the new ones in? I'm looking for a home remedy. Have been thinking about various ways...c-clamps, a bottle jack, etc..., but I'd like to do this correctly the first time and without hurting the new bushings or any of my own parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave George