<VV> Tire Pressures and Handling

vpersh at netzero.com vpersh at netzero.com
Tue Jan 29 23:14:30 EST 2008

Sometime ago I posed a question about tire pressures and why the Corvair had such a front/rear differential and other rear weight-biased cars (my Fiero, for example) did not. The best response I got was from Brent Covey who, along with his explanation, suggested finding an article by Jim Hall of Chaparral fame called "What Makes Cars Handle?" I have been searching for awhile and finally found the article, in two parts, in the May and April 1965 issues of Car and Driver magazine. I have added the articles to my website for everyone's enjoyment. There are links to Part I and Part II at http://www.persh.org/Corvairs/Tire_Pressure.htm. I've read through both parts and actually have a much better understanding of what makes cars go around corners. If you're in the mood, print them out and read them - they're really good!
Van Pershing