<VV> 1964 Monza Convertible for Sale

bowtieguy at cox.net bowtieguy at cox.net
Tue Jul 1 12:01:30 EDT 2008

This car needs a new good home. I have many photos for anyone interested. Thanks for your consideration.

1964 Corvair Monza Convertible
Engine
The High Performance 110 horsepower flat 6 runs fine and to my knowledge has never been overhauled.  There are 2 rebuilt carburetors,  rebuilt original generator, all other engine seals replaced, new engine compartment seals, fan belt, Pertronix Flamethrower coil, plug wires, distributor cap, new points plate, oil cooler cleaned and serviced, thermisters replaced and heat damper doors fixed, oil and engine temperature sensor replaced, K&N air filter, new fuel pump and filter. The battery box area has been rebuilt via body work and the engine compartment was painted.  The engine has been tuned up, starts and runs fine. The pushrod tubes have been replaced with viton and all gaskets and seals. The PCV system has been cleaned out. I run high mileage Castrol 10W30. It will use some oil and leak some if not driven regularly.
Mike Dawson, Kansas City Heart of America Corvair Owners Association, who writes the Technical Service Bulletin Updates for the Corsa Communique magazine, has guided Whitey, my mechanic, and I, along the way to make sure the restoration was done correctly.  Any questions you may call Whitey at 785-478-3159.
Richard Finch, who wrote the book How to Keep Your Corvair Alive, says: “If a Corvair engine is properly maintained it will last longer than any other automobile engine in the world”.
This quote is from Lon Wall, owner and operator of Corvair Underground.“Now for the real champ. The hands down winner in the Corvair engine field is the 110 hp-probably the best all around performance engine ever offered. You're in luck too, there are a fair number of them running around for relatively reasonable prices. In fact, GM even trusted them to be the first and only high horsepower optional engine officially offered for vans, pickups and Greenbriars. I've driven a number of vans, etc., with 110 hp engines and was really impressed, Even though I personally prefer the 95 hp engine for vans because of lower compression ratios and better gas economy, the 110 would be a very close second”.
Transmission
The Two speed Powerglide has been serviced and will leak fluid if overfilled or left sitting too long without being run. It runs smoothly and does not slip. I run Trans X Premium ATF in this car. To the best of my knowledge the transmission has never been overhauled.
The POWERGLIDE BRAKE
Norm Helmkay

“Dual master cylinder brake systems and handbrake aside, Power Glide equipped Corvairs have a safety brake system not realized by many owners.

This is an edited version of an article I wrote in the Canadian Old Autos
newspaper in March 1993 called "Bulletproof PowerGlides." Many of the facts and figures come from the six Corvair SAE papers conveniently put together in an 85page book by Clark's Corvair. It should be in the library of every Corvair enthusiast.

A remarkable fact about the Corvair Powerglide, as abused in the Ultra Van, is how trouble free it is. Most are over 30 years old and many transmissions have been driven 200,000 miles or more.

>From a backyard restorer's point of view, the PowerGlide is perhaps the easiest automatic to service. Also, the drag racing crowd also thinks it’s a damn good transmission. JW Performance Transmissions have made a big business of supplying PowerGlide transmissions and parts for both street and strip cars.

The Corvair PowerGlide has a very pedigreed heritage. When the Corvair came on the scene in the fall of 1959, the Glide had been in continuous design study since 1954 and nearly 7 million had been made.

In 1959, GM statisticians calculated Glides had been run over 200,035 BILLION consumer miles! With that many miles behind it when the first Corvair was delivered to the public, engineers at GM were confident the transmission could take almost any customer abuse, since Corvair gear stresses were thought to be only 60% of those that might be encountered from a full size Chevrolet V-8. “
Corvair Powerglide had a good reputation for reliability and was ordered on a large majority of Corvair passenger cars. Used Powerglide transmissions are very inexpensive as well and they seldom fail.

Suspension
New springs and shocks have been installed front and rear, heavy duty in the rear. The springs came from Coil Springs Specialties and Corvair Underground.
Brakes and Wheels
New brakes and wheel bearings have been replaced at all four wheels. A new brake master cylinder was installed in 2000. The tires have replaced twice, both times due to the age of the tires, most recently in April 2007, with Hankook, 185/80R13 H714 radial white stripe tires. The spare tire is aired up and positioned to be done without having to remove it from the engine compartment. It is a Hercules, 175/870/13 MRIV tire, whitewall, installed in 1999, and has never been used.
Electrical
I have had 4 batteries in the car, not learning till 3 years ago that the generator needed to be rebuilt. The newest battery was installed April 2008. All lighting and accessory systems are functional. All bulbs have been replaced with brite bulbs in back and T3 Replicas from Lectric Limited as the headlights.
Safety
The wipers and washers work. The GM Optikleen bottle is filled with green fluid that is really washer fluid but not concentrate. The wiper blades and refills were replaced April 2008. Correct color and size seat belts were installed for the front seats only until now and 3 more have been installed in the back seat. The padded dashboard was replaced in the fall of 2006.  The entire heating system, from engine compartment, including a high volume heater motor and ductwork to the defrosters was installed.  The windshield was replaced with a tinted shaded original replacement. The side glass was replaced with tinted used glass from California Corvairs.
Interior
Two new front seat covers were installed in 1983. New door panels, back seat bottom and back cushions were installed in 2005. A new floor with Acoustishield heat/sound insulation was done at this time, with the doors treated with POR 15 rust prevention treatment. New carpeting was placed over the new floor and insulation. New door handles were installed as well as kick panels and door sill moldings from Bill Cotrofeld. The interior pieces, including the steering wheel, seat parts, ash tray and top cover have been repainted. All weather-stripping and rubber bumpers have been replaced.
Accessories
The original radio was converted to AM/FM by Radioman in Texas. A stereo matching speaker replaced the original in 1999 too. A dash clock was purchased and converted to quartz in 2004. There is an original tissue dispenser and a replica saddlebag litter container.  There is a reproduction visor vanity mirror. I have every day mats as well as a correct year blue set from Clarks, for both front and rear. The driver side remote mirror came from Classic Industries. There is also a locking gas cap. There is a car cover and a windshield sun shade included.
Exterior
The paint from 1983(done by Aged Body Shop, Roger at 785-862-1640), was touched up or repainted and then clear coated, as needed in 1999-2000. The body sill moldings, gas door guard, mirrors, door edge guards, headlight moldings, wheel opening moldings and rear grill were replaced with new or refurbished original parts. The top was replaced in April of 2005 by Scarlett Auto Interiors, Topeka. The rear window is green tinted to help save 10* in the hot weather. The trunk was repainted in 2006. There is a front spoiler that came from Classic Industries. I tried the painted add on version but I did not like the look. The black one on the car is like the one from the 67-69 Camaro Z28.  Call Whitey at 785-478-3159 if you have any further questions about the paint from 1999 to the present.
Drivability
I have driven the car to Minnesota, twice, Lawrence and Kansas City, several times and Wichita once. The original owners drove it to Colorado once. I averaged 23 MPG but this was before all of the recent carburetor and tune up work. The Mobil Economy Run from 1964 featured two Corvairs that both average 23 MPG driving across the county.
Underbody
The underbody was steam cleaned and undercoated in 1999. The underbody has now been given a complete makeover of two coats of POR 15 Rust Preventive Treatment.
Detailing
The interior carpeting was new 3 years ago and has just been cleaned with Meguiar’s Carpet and Interior cleaner. The back window has been cleaned with Mequiars #18 Clear Plastic Detailer, #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner and #10 Clear Plastic Polish, in that order. The top has been cleaned with Meguiar’s #40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner /Protectant. All vinyl and rubber, interior and exterior, including door, hood and trunk weather-stripping, have been cleaned and treated with Meguiar's #40. All chrome and stainless have been cleaned and protected with Flitz Metal Polish. The interior glass has been cleaned and anti fog treated with Bon Ami. The exterior glass has been cleaned with Glass Wax and protected with Aquapel. The plastic turn signal lenses and tail light lenses have been cleaned and treated with Flitz Metal Polish. The exterior paint has been washed, clay cleaned with Mequiars' Clay Clean, Medallion paint cleaner and Medallion Paint Protectant. I rub the paint back and forth, never in circles, to avoid swirls. The same goes for the back window. The hinges and locks have been treated with either WD 40 or Lock Ease.
Car History
Dr. Ali Mebed and his wife Fatayah arrived from Egypt here in Topeka in 1953. Dr. Mebed was working at the Menninger Foundation and had planned to stay 5 years. Zoom forward 11 years to March 1964. The Mebeds take delivery of the Monza Convertible. The car is driven once to Colorado but mostly around town and in the state of Kansas. Zoom forward 19 years to 1983. The ’64 Monza is repainted, has new tires installed, a Midas muffler, two new front seats and a new top put on. The car is now run only in the summer and spends the rest of the time in the garage. Zoom ahead to 1991. Dr. Mebed passes away. Zoom ahead to 1997. The Mebeds grandson turns 16. Fatayah, his grandmother takes him out for a drive and offers to give the car to him for his birthday. He replies to her “Grandma, I could never drive this car as all people do is stare when we go by”. The same offer is made in 1999 on his 18th birthday but it is turned down again.

This is where I came into the picture. My neighbor told me of the car in 1992 and I would receive a yearly call telling me that if the car was to be sold it would be to me. April 1999 was when we exchanged our check for the car. Mrs. Mebed was very proud of the fact that the car had new in 1983 bias ply black wall tires, a new top, new seats and new paint. She told me the scratch in the windshield could be buffed out and all would be well.  You have already read the rest of the story.
Shipping
All shipping is the responsibility of the Buyer.  I know of a great shipping company - A & B Transport.  You can reach them at 620-654-6713. Ask for Lisa, she can give you a bid. I have done the work and assembled the car.
The Bottom Line
Hemmings Motor News says “Corvairs are the bargains of the Chevrolet collectible world. In 1964, the 'Vair's rear suspension and brakes were reworked resulting in a better-handling car and a more desirable collectible today. But, despite what your history teacher might have told you, the Corvair's reputation didn't hurt its sales as much as the Mustang did. They were fairly popular in their day and still have a very loyal following, supported by proactive parts suppliers. The fact is, you could do a lot worse than a Corvair in terms of a favorable dollars-to-fun ratio and parts availability”.
The car is being sold as I have three everyday cars, including my mother-in-law’s 1990 Crown Victoria (67, 000 original miles), and three collector cars, a ’57 Bel Air Townsman 4 door wagon and a ’70 Impala 4 door sedan. I am not able to keep up with all of them.  My Father, who was 47 when I was born, taught me how to spit shine shoes and cars. I pumped gas, cleaned glass, checked oil, hand washed and waxed cars, and delivered parts at the same gas station in the seventies, that he started frequenting in the thirties in Wayzata, MN, my hometown.
If you have priced paint, parts and labor lately, buying an up to date restored car makes sense. The work is never actually done as we all know that an old car is an ongoing concern. This car is very close to it. If you have priced gas lately, a Corvair makes sense too. The car was purchased for $5000 and $10,000 has been put into it. This turn key car is clean and ready to go, anywhere.
What do you think a fair price would be?
                                     Low Retail        Average Retail           High Retail
TOTAL PRICE	$3,375	$8,595	    $13,455

Bob Vukas
'70 Impala 4 Door Sedan
'64 Monza Convertible