<VV> Radio

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Wed Jul 2 10:09:28 EDT 2008

Personally, I don't like the radios sold by Clark's -- they seem sort of
chintzy.  I've come down to two options for my '65 coupe.

One is to have a stock radio converted to modern AM/FM guts.  This
doesn't support playing tapes (or in my case SD disks), but it does
retain the stock look and it does provide an input for external devices
(e.g., Ipod).  There is the issue of finding the FM stations on the AM
dial, but if I go this route I'll convert the original AM/FM radio that
I have (yes, I know they're worth a lot of money.)

The second, and my preferred option, is to use a DIN mount radio.  This
opens up a huge range of options.  Unfortunately, the sloped dash on the
LM Corvair makes it difficult to fabricate a nice looking fascia.
Fortunately, BUCKETBOSS over on the Corvair Center forum is working on a
DIN bezel for the LM Corvair.  The mounting "ears" in the dash have to
be bent back or removed to have room for a DIN-size radio.  The last I
heard (early June) he had a prototype ready or almost ready.  Hopefully
he'll have these available by the time I'm ready for the radio.

Dave Keillor