<VV> Removing the wheel cylinder entrails

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Wed Jul 2 16:18:40 EDT 2008

Hmm.

  The wheel cylinder does not have to be removed from the backing plate to simply take out its innards and perhaps hone it.

  THe pistons, rubber cups and spring are all thats in the cylinder, other than fluid.  If they wont come out, then you've found your brake problem!

  There should be a rubber "boot" on each end with the short metal rod thru the center.  The rods fit into the indented end of the pistons and the flat side of the piston sits against the rubber "cup" and the spring is in the middle, between the pistons/cups.   THey should pop right out if you press on one end or the other.  ALternatively, you can GENTLY press on the brake pedal and at least one of the pistons will come out!  Then you can work on the other one with a piece of wooden dowel and a hammer, if it is truly seized or hung up.

  HTH

  Everett Wilson
  North Richland Hills, TX

Stephen Upham <contactsmu at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  I am replacing the brake shoes and the internals of the wheel
cylinder on the drivers side front for the first time ever by
myself. I've successfully gotten the shoes and accompanying springs
removed the cylinder pistons out and the rubber coverings removed.
The '65 manual helpfully says to remove the pistons, rubber cups, and
spring from the cylinder and clean them. Uh, how do you remove the
internals from the cylinder housing. I'm assuming that it doesn't
have to be removed from the wheel? It didn't seem to want to budge
much using my fingers.

Stephen Upham