<VV> Removing the wheel cylinder entrails

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 3 09:24:57 EDT 2008

	I was able to get the entrails out yesterday by taking the two
attaching bolts off the backing plate.  The front one should be REAL
fun to reattach.  REMEMBER this is a practically NEW cylinder from a
well known right coast vendor that failed to seal on the piston that
faces rearward after approximately 2K of use.  I looked at the walls
of the cylinder.  There appears to be a LITTLE discoloration near the
area where the rubber piston would normally rest, but no scaring,
rust, or other surface imperfections that would lead me to go "AHA,
that's why it failed".  I see no reason that it would require a re-
honing.
	I can add that I did do a "no-no" a couple of months ago.  Because
there was a pulling to the right, I checked the fluid level.  Because
it was down, I looked at the brakes with the drums off.  When I
noticed that there was fluid on the left front, I pressed the brakes
to see if fluid would come out of the pistons.  Yeah, well I know NOW
not to do that!   Anyway, I worked to line up the brake shoes so that
I could get the drum back on.
	OK, fast forward to today.  I will replace the entrails, the shoes,
the rear hoses, and attempt to put the front brake assembly back
together.

Three questions:

Does anyone have a better description of the various parts of the
brakes and the order of reattachment?  The manual mentions parts that
I have no picture to reference.  Ditto my Clarks catalog.  I was
reduced to using my Hayne's manual for our '01 Durango that has rear
drum brakes to try to identify some parts.

Can the flushing can be done with A) the old fluid [four years old]
B) alcohol C) another substance I'm not aware of?

What is the best fluid to use that will inhibit rust, but not require
a complete replacement of all parts (remember, except for the lines,
the major parts only have about 4K on them)?  I'm not looking for
"set and forget", I have no problem with bleeding the system every
couple of years when necessary, nor will I need extreme temps as this
is a family sport-about, but I do want to be as proactive as possible
to reduce the affects of internal rust until I can afford to replace
everything and install silicone fluid.

Stephen Upham