<VV> Brake Fluids

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Jul 3 16:15:23 EDT 2008

Just to take this one step further... the Prestone Synthetic that
Walmart sells is actually a synthetic DOT 3/4 compatible fluid...,
non-silicone. Similar to the DOT 5.1 synthetics, but slightly lower
wet/dry boiling points than DOT 5 or DOT 5.1. Not a bad choice, but
Walmart used to carry (haven't checked lately) Valvoline Syntec which is
a full DOT 5.1 fluid.

With all these different classes out there now, you have to read the
label to make sure you're getting the right stuff.

Synthetic (open labeled "DOT 3/4 Compatible Synthetic but with a boiling
point of over 500F) are all fully compatible with each other and listed
in order of desirability.

DOT 5 (Synthetic Silicone) is the outlier which is not compatible with
any of the above.

Bill