<VV> Flushing the brake lines

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 4 13:27:00 EDT 2008

If you open all of the bleeder valves in order to flush the system,
shouldn't the reservoir run dry as the fluid leaks out of the lines -
the so called gravity flush?  OK, when that doesn't happen, if you
press the brake pedal, shouldn't that cause the reservoir to pump
fluid to the lines that would then flow out of the open bleeder
valves?  I'm getting nothing.  The pedal goes to the floor, but no
fluid loss in the reservoir or in the pans under the bleeder valves.
I used a Mityvac at the extract the fluid from the line at each
bleeder valve.  I developed pressure with the pump hose on the
bleeder valve and then opened the valve.   I did this on all four
wheels.  I got about two table spoons of fluid collectively from all
four wheels.  I have replaced the rear flexible lines yesterday and
today, but the fluid loss from that was less than a teaspoon full total.

Help.

Stephen U