<VV> Radio ideas

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Jul 5 15:14:28 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/5/2008 11:46:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dave.thompson at verizon.net writes:

I saw a  55 bell air at a show the other day that had a great idea for an
after  market radio. He took a tissue dispenser and hinged the front end. He
then  installed a modern stereo inside. It was installed under the dash. When
it  was closed, it looked stock, when open he had access to a modern  stereo.

I got the tech guide at the convention. Inside, there is an  article about
taking a 70 Cadillac radio and converting it with a Corvair  radio faceplate
to give AM/FM. There are also instructions for an AUX  input. Both
conversions look very straight forward to me.

I would  love to do a conversion but I already have a vintage under dash
FM/8-track  in my car that works very well. I used the instructions in the
tech guide  and installed the AUX input on my FM/8-track. I use it for my MP3
player.  It works great.

I wanted to install an old 8-track player (are there any other kind?)  hidden
in the trunk, and change the button functions on a regular Corvair AM
pushbutton radio. As you have done, feed the output of the 8-track  into the radio,
but, upon pushing any of the buttons on the AM, besides moving  the indicator
to a new "station" it would activate the track change button on  the eight
track. Remember that with an 8-track, at any point, you could select  any of four
programs/channels on the cartridge.  Record your own  8-track tapes with
1960's music and snippets of 1960's DJ talk and other  "Period" stuff,
commercials, etc. Easily available, by the way, on XM Radio  channel 6 and I am sure
through other sources. Then, at the car shows you could  play your in-dash AM
radio, listening to the period music, and with a push of  the button, jump to
another period station. How is that for cool!!  It  would drive your friends nuts!
 - Seth (already nuts, it would  appear!)