<VV> Healthy pumps?

D. Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Mon Jul 7 17:12:50 EDT 2008

<<Frank, I would be inclined to think that if the spring was made 100
times stronger then it still wouldn't matter because of the
self-regulating mechanism in the pump. Lon>>

   I dissagree totally. When the pushrod moves upward by the excentrical driver (on crankshaft), the diaphragm goes upward too, sucking gas from the tank. On this movement it doesn't matter the spring tension (on fuel delivering) but, when the pushrod and diaphragm go downwards it is because of the spring tension. No spring means no fuel delivered to the carbs and, an over tensioned spring means more down compression force on the diaphragm, leading to more fuel pressure against the carb. inlet valve which, could override the closing action exerted by the float. Of course, I am assuming the pump has a good diaphragm, good check valves, there are no restrictions on lines, there is gasoline in the tank and engine is running.

   Daniel Monasterio