<VV> Radio ideas

tony.underwood at cox.net tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Jul 7 17:16:32 EDT 2008

>The cartridges were bad about un-spooling which required a
> deft touch to get the tape rewound. It was ugly when the machine ate your
> favorite tape too. I lost my best Iron Butterfly tape that way while driving
> down the road. It made me so mad I just ripped the cart out and flung it out
> the window! Ya just don't see that anymore...

Ya do around here, only now it's cassettes.   I'm constantly seeing tangles of tape in the gutter along the "main cruise strip" here in town, from cassettes that went out the window for whatever reason.

The one I saw a while back that puzzled me was the 1/2" black tape that evidently was from a VHS video cassette.

If I was doing a cassette, even if it hung up or likewise malfarctioned, I'd still keep it and toss it on the work bench to repair it or splice it or whatever.   Nothing of mine ever went out a window.

My stereo was a glorified in-dash changer controller/cassette, bought "in house" (I used to be professionally connected with automotive audio) and it mostly ran CDs, seldom cassettes although I did and still do have tapes, as well as a pretty fancy cassette recorder.

Anymore, it's almost all digital audio/MP3s...

> ( still have over 300 vinyl albums and four turn tables!)

---  Heh, me too...  only two turntables though.   One is a Sony linear tracking variant w/Audio Technica series IV, the other a Pioneer direct drive w/15" platter and Shure V-15.    Neither has played a record in quite a while...

But like the 'Vairs,  they're still here and not going anywhere any time soon.

Uh, wait... that didn't come out right.     ...?

tony..