<VV> Lifters

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Jul 10 23:42:21 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/10/2008 4:04:35 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
bryan at skiblack.com writes:

On some  I can come down to zero lash
and then rock the lifter and feel the  piston in the lifter go up and
down, but on some I can't.   Question is, are those lifters at the top
or bottom of the  range?  Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Hi Bryan,
Matt covered it pretty well, but I'd like to add my comments.

Any lifter that is not pumped up (i.e., full of oil) will not be solid. So
it is natural to find partially pumped up lifters doing what you described. The
 plungers are at the top of their travel and not at the bottom. The internal
spring assures this.

You have two choices. Either remove the lifters and pump them up by using a
trigger-type of oil can to pump oil into the side hole. Or you can just use
then  as they are where they are and set the adjustment to 1/2 turn in from zero
lash.  Then they will fill in about 10 minutes of normal running.

The question on which to do comes about because any lifter that is not  fully
pumped up will not be able to force any oil up the pushrod and thus not
supply any oil to the rocker box. This means partial or marginal oiling there
until the lifter does get pumped up. Not the best of conditions in my  opinion.

Regards,
Bob Helt