<VV> Promised update on issues affecting my Hardtop

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 12 10:19:32 EDT 2008

First, thanks to all of you who have sent me advise and pictures of
what I was/am working on.  They all provided the information that I
needed to accomplish something I have never done before; a drum brake
cylinder overhaul and shoe replacement.  I know most of you could do
this in the dark with one hand tied behind your back, but for me, it
was an accomplishment.

I finally got the brakes back together.  I had been using the right
side front to check the position of the assembly while working on
overhauling the left.  I finally got everything put together.  I then
went to readjust the throttle linkages since I had it off of the
ground.  After that I went wheel to wheel adjusting the star wheel.
On the right side front, I found that I had put the spring next to
the adjusting star upside down.  Off came the shoes.  Again, I used
the right side drum to check while working on the left side
assembly.  I got it back together about two in the morning.  At that
point I should have stopped and gone to bed.  But I decided to see if
the removal of the shoes had affected the pedal.  Unfortunately, I
had forgotten to reinstall the right side drum.  I spent until three
in the morning yesterday taking the right side apart and reassembling
the cylinder on that side.  I got my wife to help me bleed the brakes
and I was ready to drop the Monza and take her for a spin.
She wasn't running great due to the fact that gas was dripping in the
right carb, but she would run well, although roughly in idle.  I had
rebalanced the carbs per the manual before starting her.  She started
idling roughly, and then died after about a minute of getting
progressively worse.  From that point on, she would start if you give
her gas, but die immediately after taking the foot off of the gas.
It has started to backfire out of the left carb also, something not
happening before I put her last week to do this brake work.   Both of
the carbs are leaking gas in the venturi clusters, now.  The
practically new carbs have to be taken apart; something I have never
done before.  I just didn't have the energy or possible replacement
parts to tackle it last night.
So, it looks like we will continue a tradition that started last year
right after the engine was rebuilt; I will not be able to take her to
the annual NTCA birthday party and picnic today.

Again, thanks for all of the helpful advise and encouragement.  I
keep the group posted as to the progress on the carbs when I find
time to do them.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Vice-President / North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110, Sierra Tan, Saddle