<VV> engine break in and oil change

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jul 13 22:57:59 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/13/2008 7:45:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jhebrink at anvilcom.com writes:

I am  getting close to finishing the rebuild on my daughter's 66 Monza 110.
This  was a complete rebuild - ground crank, new pistons, rings, connecting
rods,  bearings, cylinders, etc.  I would appreciate any advice on break  in
requirements, especially suggestions on how soon I should change the oil  and
filter after first starting the engine.  I am probably a week or  so away
from finishing up - depends on how much travel my job  requires.

Thanks in advance for your  suggestions,
Jedd

Jedd - A couple of suggestions. At start up, use the best conventional oil
you can find. No synthetics and no "non-detergent" "break-in" oils. Use a good
10-30 conventional oil. If you can, use a stripped out distributor - one with
 the drive gear removed and the top stripped off until the main shaft is
sticking  out. Use a good drill and drive the distributor shaft in the correct
direction  driving the oil pump and pumping oil into and through the motor. As
you start  building pressure in the motor, the drill will slow down from the
load. You can  also crank the motor over while doing this - Or someone else could
help you.  This will open pasasages in the crank/rod/bearings/lifter areas
and spread oil  throughout the motor - before it has any kind of firing load on
it.

- Seth Emerson