<VV> PG rebuilding parts, video, and tips

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 14 11:41:14 EDT 2008

Hi Keith,
   I certainly recommend the movie made by Harry Yarnell as an additional tool to some of the literature available.You mention a "slipping" issue and then you mention "chatter". These sound like seperate issues. I purchased my parts from Dave Edmunds but I am in no way suggesting him over any one else.
   Although I am not an auto trans rebuilder I found it to be fairly simple after following some basic rules:
1. Keep everything VERY organized (the best suggestion from Harry). When I did mine I used half a dozen small cans and a number of boxes. Everything was labeled (including bolts,nuts, etc.)
2. Clean EVERYTHING very thoroughly. Take the time. It'll be worth it in the end.
3. Mark things in such a way that you'll be able to easily figure out how things are supposed to go instead of trying to rely on memory alone. Take digital photos of things. Some things can be installed incorrectly (and will not work properly). Take lots of notes. I had 3 pages telling me the way to reassemble it. I took the notes from the movie (I watched it 3 times), from the shop manual (so I would not get it dirty),and from the actual disassembly of the unit.
4. You will have to make some special tools to reassemble. I had the most difficulty with compressing the piston springs but was able to make it work by making up certain "jigs".Use petroleum jelly on the rubber seals instead of ATF.
   These are the things I found that worked for me. I just drove my Rampside 1900 miles in 10 days to Ventura and back and had a great time. I did have a problem with my fan bearing wanting to rise up out of my top cover. I will be dealing with that fairly soon. I hope you had a great time on your visit to Durango recently. I really enjoyed seeing you and your family and I hope this is helpful to you. I have some literature that I would be happy to forward to you on your project.Let me know.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado