<VV> GPS Speed Verification on the BFGs

mike hicks mhicks130 at cox.net
Mon Jul 14 23:30:31 EDT 2008

actually, the satellites don't calculate your speed/position or
whatever.  They just tell your GPS unit where they are and the GPS uses
this info from multiple satellites to figure out where YOU are and how
fast you're going and which direction you're going in.  AND some of them
know where things like gas stations and roads are so it can tell you how
to get there.  Cool.

We hooked our GPS up to a laptop running MS streets and trips and
watched ourselves drive across Indiana. Normally it's prettier out the
window but in this case it was night and the road was almost impassable
due to snow so it was reassuring to see we were actually making
progress.  I find the GPS invaluable on a boat (no road signs out there)