<VV> PG rebuilding parts, video, and tips

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 14 23:52:52 EDT 2008

Hi Keith,

The advice I got when I rebuilt mine from someone in the know was to try to
get the original style "L" lip outer seals for the reverse clutch piston
(servo) and for the high speed clutch piston(servo).  I know Clark's sells
them.  The square cut ones that some sell don't seal as well in certain
situations or with certain PG cases.  I just bought the kit from Clark's
with the seals, bushings, snap rings, friction material, gaskets.  I just
did an inspection of the low speed band and reused.  It had plenty of
friction material left (could still see nicely defined grooves on the inner
surface and no chunks missing).

I recommend picking up an extra front pump cover seal, it's the large square
cut rubber ring that fits in the edge groove of front pump cover and the
case.  It's real easy to pinch if your not careful.  Someone at one time had
used a screwdriver to pry the front pump cover off mine and when I went to
reinstall, I didn't see the little burr left from the screwdriver on the
edge of the case.  Took a nice little chunk out of the seal and I had to
order another one.

Check the drive pins for the rear pump to be sure they are still tightly
installed in the planetary assembly.  If one falls out and makes it's way
between a set of gears, it will ruin your day.  See the following for a
picture of the planetary and pins:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/677720210/in/set-72157600576168240
/

You can redrill and relocate the pins if they are loose and also dress the
pump hub that they drive.

You can see my complete set of transmission pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/72157600576168240/

I got the tips to rebuild mine from Jim Davis, Bob Galli and from the Corsa
Tech Guide.  In the Corsa Tech Guide under the section on transmissions,
there are write-ups by Art Eller and Bob Ballew on what to look for and what
to expect.  I read as much as I could and picked the brains of some of the
Corvair elites out there before I started.  It really helped.  The PG was
one of those uncharted territories for me that I was able to conquer.  Not
so hard after all, actually kinda fun once I knew it wasn't going to go
"Boing" as soon as I removed the last bolt with pieces flying in all
directions never to be seen again.

Have fun!!

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

Keith said:

>#2  I have seen the ad in the Communiqu? for the rebuild kit including
exchange band.  Is this a good source or am I
>better to order from Major Vendor.  Do I need anything else besides what is
offered in this ad?

>#5  I know that there was a difference between the early (145 cid) and late
(164 cid) PG transmissions.  I have a '65
>110hp engine coupled to an early FC PG.  What if any modifications do I
need to make while I have the PG torn down or
>will I be good the way it is?  I think I read this in the PG tips that
Corvanatics puts out.