<VV> GPS to measure MPG

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 21:50:46 EDT 2008

Indicating INSTANTANEOUS miles per gallon is  useless on normal roads.  It
might make sense on a dyno under lab  conditions, but the value changes
constantly under real driving  conditions.  We had a 89 Beretta with an electronic
dash that could display  instant MPG or average MPG.  The instant MPG varied
continuously everytime  the road changed slightly even with a constant accelerator
position.  The  AVERAGE MPG was much more useful on a longer trip.
    If your GPS unit indicates miles traveled from  the time of your last
fullup, and you noted the amount of fuel taken on the  refill, then the math
involved is simple enough for a grade school kid with a $5  calculator.
    Frank "calculatingly" Burkhard

In a message dated 7/15/2008 12:48:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,