<VV> rebuilt engine break in and oil change

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Jul 16 13:13:14 EDT 2008

Sooner or later I'm planning on breaking in a new engine, so here's
what I have in mind:

  - Fill with non-Synth SJ or equivalent (not SM "starburst") oil.
  - Prime carbs.  If electric pump, check for leaks now.
  - Prime oil pump and turn engine through two revolutions with oil
pressure.
  - Install distributor and static time (I want the engine to fire
immediately).
  - If engine does not fire within a few cranks, stop and figure out
why.
  - Start engine and run at 2000 RPM for 30 minutes.  Note any problems.
  - Shut off engine, fix leaks or other noted issues.
  - Start engine, check timing, drive gently to warm up engine.
Drive to break in area.
  - Break rings in with a series of full throttle runs over 15
minutes or so.  Do not exceed 4500 RPM.
  - Drive home, allow engine to cool somewhat, and change oil while
still warm.
  - First 1000 miles, vary speed and load.  Keep RPM under 4500.
  - After 1000 miles, change the oil.  Then drive as usual.

I expect the initial break in sequence to take most of a day.  Also,
a partner may be helpful, there's a lot to keep track of and some
things that really require more than two hands.

Comments?

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa