<VV> half shafts on reinstall

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Jul 16 18:55:46 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/16/2008 6:43:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
hyarnell1 at earthlink.net writes:

In this  case, I'd install the STRUD rods first, loose. The stabilizer rods
really  don't affect installing the 1/2 shafts. You may have to install a
wheel to  give enough torque to move the bearing assy to accept the half
shaft..
The STRUT rods I refer to are the large rods that bolt to the  bottom of the
diff, and the camber bolt at the bearing end.

Harry  Yarnell

Chris,  To add to Harry's post, I use a scissors jack under the lower  strut
rod (where the lower shock mount is) and jack it up so the half shaft  meets
the axle and diff.  It takes some time on LM's but it isn't that  hard.  As
Harry said, don't loosen the stabilizer rods as you can affect  toe of the rear
tires when they are deflected under load on the road.   Don't try to "pull
things together" using any attaching bolts or you may strip  something.  Sometimes
it helps the first time (or everytime) to just lie  there and observe how
everything goes together so it makes sense.

It'll work.  Best of luck.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Washington DC suburbs