<VV> Healthy pumps?

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Jul 17 16:58:00 EDT 2008

That's right Ron, the fuel pump provides relatively constant pressure (from
the spring) of fuel to the carbs and the needle/seat shut the flow off when
not needed. The valves in the pump are just one way check valves to keep
the fuel from flowing backwards. The spring is the only item in the pump
that exerts pressure on the output diaphram. The crankshaft only applies
force to suck the fuel into the pump. Take one apart and look at the pieces.

Or read John Moody's article.

I will supply this article to any one who wants to read it. A great
explanation of how the pump works.

Again, The spring is the only item in the pump that exerts pressure on the
output diaphram. The crankshaft only applies force to the diaphram to suck
the fuel into the pump. When the pump is full of fuel and the float holds
the needle and seat closed, the diaphram does NOT move even though the
crankshaft is pushing up every revolution. Therefore no flow, but pressure
is available for when the needle and seat opens.

Whether or not 9 psig is too much for the float to react against to stop
the fuel flow should be evident, i.e. is gasoline flowing into the venturi
at idle? There should not be liquid gasoline flowing at idle in the venturi
area.

If there are other Corvairs in the area, one can easily swap the fuel pump
or carb set temporarily to see if the problem follows the pump or carbs.

Frank DuVal